Monday, June 2, 2008

The Butterfly Effect- Part 1

In cleaning out my classroom, I came upon this Butterfly Garden I had never used.  Inside is a voucher where you send away for free caterpillar larvae.  I did this about 2 weeks ago, and today guess what was in our mailbox???  Five of the cutest little caterpillars you have ever seen!  Mason was so excited as we built the little butterfly box and watched the spiny black caterpillars crawl around in their cup.  Ah, to see the world through the eyes of a 4 year old.  Precious.

Watching the little guys crawl around, they are so active!
Mason kept asking, when are they going to turn into a butterfly?  I had to tell him a couple of times that we have to be very patient...  They are fascinating little creatures... they taste with their feet!  And they have 10,000 eyes!  WOW- you learn something every day.  
Just a side note- I had put on Elmo for Sophia while Mason and I were building the butterfly house and checking out the caterpillars.  I look over at her and she had dumped SALT all over the floor, ottoman, couch.  I knew she was being too quiet!  That's what I get for trying to introduce Mason to some science!!!  A salt scrub for my floor and furniture....

5 comments:

Len and Sue said...

Mason has the same look he had just prior to pulling out the little plant by the roots!!! I see guts in your future! Oh, little boys.

Christen said...

I would like to get some of those caterpillars for Gibson - it looks so fun!

It's hard to picture sweet little Sophia being so mischievous! But at least it was just salt and not lipstick or something!

jen&boys said...

That's so fun. He looks so amazed by it all. I feel your pain with the slat dumping... It must be the cool thing to do at that age. Anything Riser can get his hands on is immediately dumped on the floor.

Aimee Molloy said...

love this idea! looks like fun.

renae said...

we have this same exact thing happening in our house-- we've got 2 in cocoons and looks like 3 more will join them by the morning. what a fun way to enjoy nature with the kiddoes!